There’s been lots of baking going on at home this week, as it’s finally getting darker and that bit more chilly. I don’t know if this is particularly traditionally autumnal, but I do tend to drink more coffee at this time of year so it is for me at least! So, I thought I’d share this Coffee & Walnut Cupcake recipe with you, which is adapted from here.
Cupcakes (Makes 12)
170g Unsalted Butter, Softened
170g Light Muscovado Sugar
170g Self Raising Flour
3 Large Free Range Eggs
2 tsps Instant Coffee
175g Soft Unsalted Butter
400g Icing Sugar
2-3 tsps Instant Coffee
16 Half Walnuts
20g Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat your over to 170°C
- Place cupcake cases into your cupcake tin.
- Mix the Coffee with 1 tbsp of boiling water, stirring until dissolved.
- Leave to cool completely (I sometimes put mine in the freezer to hurry it up!)
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat the eggs and add to the mixture.
- Sift and add the flour and mix until combined.
- Add the cooled coffee.
- Chop the walnuts and carefully add to the mixture, ensuring you don’t over-work the mixture.
- Scoop your mixture evenly into the cupcake cases.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until golden.
- For the buttercream, prepare the coffee as you did previously.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar until smooth (your buttercream may be a bit stiff at this point but the cooled coffee will loosen it up!)
- Add the cooled coffee, tsp at a time until it’s loose enough and beat until it’s gone fluffy.
- Pipe the buttercream onto your cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts
- Finally, top each cupcake with half a walnut.
Thanks so much for reading – hope you enjoy the recipe! Let me know your favourite autumn bakes in the comments.